Yates Co. Cooperative Extension 4-H Shooting
Sports Program- 2016
• 21 youth take part in archery workshops
• 5 youth took part in rifle workshops
• 4 youth took part in shotgun workshops
• 11 youth regularly attended and took part in hunting and wildlife education through our established 4-H Shooting Sports Club (The Sharp Shooters)
• trained one new volunteer shooting sports instructor in archery
• 2 of our county shooting sports instructors attended and completed a national 4-H Shooting Sports Training in Maine and are now certified to train state level
instructors. One is certified in archery and one in muzzle loading
• 12 youth took part in an archery postal match. 6 of our youth placed in the top 3 in their respective ages/class categories. 91 youth throughout NY took part
in the postal match
• 1 youth participated in the NYS 4-H Shooting Sports Competition in September, placing 3rd in 3D and FITA archery, qualifying him to advance on to the National
competition in June 2017. He is planning to attend this competition to represent NYS and Yates County 4-H!
4-H currently looking at some additional funding sources to help cover costs for 2017. [Yates Chapter SCOPE donated $500
Yates County 4-H Shooting Sports Instructors held a meeting on January 30, 2017 to make plans for the coming year.
Part of the agenda was to discuss expanding
program offerings to the Middlesex Conservation Club. 4-H leaders were
impressed with the facilities (especially the indoor air pistol/rifle range) and
think it’s a great idea to expand program opportunities throughout the county.
New York State High School Clay Target League- 2017
The New York State High School Clay Target League is an affiliate of the USA High
School Clay Target League, a 501c3, non -profit organization, and the independent
provider of shooting sports as an extracurricular co-ed and adaptive activity to high
schools. Physically disabled students are welcome. The League's priorities, in order
of importance, are safety, fun and marksmanship.
Marcus Whitman, Dundee & Penn Yan High Schools will, hopefully, be joining the League this year.
Yates SCOPE Chapter will assist sponsorship along with the following sportsmen organizations.
The Middlesex Conservation Club will host Marcus Whitman,
Barrington Rifle Club will host Dundee and hopefully Branchport Rod & Gun will host
Penn Yan. All schools will need coaches, a school advisor and parents to help out.
The schools will have to have their team or teams selected (five high schoolers minimum per team
with no maximum), and registered by around March 15th. This is a Spring sport April-
Please look at New York State Clay
Target Web site for additional information or
Email Josh Kroells.